St John the Baptist, Wellington
(Location: High Street Wellington TA21 8QY)
There has probably been a place of worship on the site of the Parish Church of St John the Baptist, Wellington since Saxon times but the present building is mostly in the Perpendicular style of the 15th century.
The church underwent two major restorations in 1848/50 and 1938, and in 1986/7 the Victorian pews were removed and the nave and chancel refloored. In the east window of the Lady chapel is the church’s rarest feature, a Lily Crucifix carved on the centre mullion, but perhaps its most famous feature is the impressive monument in the north chancel aisle to Sir John Popham who was Chief Justice of England under Elizabeth 1 and James 1. He was, perhaps, Wellington’s most famous resident and lived in a substantial mansion in the town. The first organ was placed in the church in around 1700 and the present instrument was last rebuilt in 1997 at a cost of £60,000.
For services in St John the Baptist, Wellington
Please go to the Church Services page on the menu
The current issue of The Gossip according to St Johns Wellington
Rector: Revd Tim Treanor.
Mrs Sharon Chorley (01823 665254)
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 9.00 - 13.00
Regular activities at St John the Baptist, Wellington, to which anybody is welcome:
- Home Groups meet regularly -- at least two in short bursts throughout the year, but four or more during Lent.
- There is a monthly Coffee Morning on a Saturday in the Church Hall, often with a particular theme (e.g. crafts, plants etc). This is attended by many who otherwise have no Church connection.
- There is a monthly Soup Lunch (ploughman's in the summer) on a Friday, also in the Church Hall; sometimes replaced by a cream tea at the weekend in July & August.
- A monthly after-school activity -- "Smile" -- for under 12's and an accompanying adult, on a Wednesday. Drinks and snacks 3.15 PM to 3.45 PM, crafts, activities, game, story, prayer, songs until 4.30 PM. Come when you can and go when you must!
- Sunday Smile on the 3rd Sunday of every month at 9.45. Under 12s welcome, under 5s welcome with an adult.
- A Parents and Toddlers Group meets in the Church Hall on Mondays and Thursdays in term time and some of the holidays.
- A branch of the Mothers Union meets on the first Tuesday of most months at 2.30 PM in the Church Hall.
- The Church Hall is available for hire (both regular or occasional bookings) This is a nice modern hall with a good kitchen.
Contact the Parish Office for details