St John the Baptist, Wellington
(Location: High Street Wellington TA21 8QY)
There has probably been a place of worship on the site of the Parish Church of St John the Baptist, Wellington since Saxon times but the present building is mostly in the Perpendicular style of the 15th century.
The church underwent two major restorations in 1848/50 and 1938, and in 1986/7 the Victorian pews were removed and the nave and chancel refloored. In the east window of the Lady chapel is the church’s rarest feature, a Lily Crucifix carved on the centre mullion, but perhaps its most famous feature is the impressive monument in the north chancel aisle to Sir John Popham who was Chief Justice of England under Elizabeth 1 and James 1. He was, perhaps, Wellington’s most famous resident and lived in a substantial mansion in the town. The first organ was placed in the church in around 1700 and the present instrument was last rebuilt in 1997 at a cost of £60,000.
For services in St John the Baptist, Wellington
Please go to the Church Services page on the menu
The current issue of The Gossip according to St Johns Wellington
Rector: Revd Tim Treanor.
Mrs Sharon Chorely
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 9.00 - 13.00
Regular activities at St John the Baptist, Wellington, to which anybody is welcome:
- Home Groups meet regularly -- at least two in short bursts throughout the year, but four or more during Lent.
- There is a monthly Coffee Morning on a Saturday in the Church Hall, often with a particular theme (e.g. crafts, plants etc). This is attended by many who otherwise have no Church connection.
- There is a monthly Soup Lunch (ploughman's in the summer) on a Friday, also in the Church Hall; sometimes replaced by a cream tea at the weekend in July & August.
- A monthly after-school activity -- "Smile" Smile restarted with a party atmosphere on the first Wednesday back to school! We welcomed over 30 people - including mums & dads - into the church after school with balloons, games and creative activities, plus a look at Jesus’ Parable of the Great Banquet (aka the biggest party ever!) and of course plenty of drinks and biscuits. The children made invitations to take to friends inviting them to Smile next time – and we’d like to extend that invitation to anyone with Primary School-aged children to drop in and see what we get up to each month at Smile. Usually, first Wednesday of the month, drinks served from 3.15pm, programme of games, craft, Bible story & prayer 3.30 – 4.30pm. Invitation cards are available at the back of the church, if you’d like to invite your neighbours. Please do continue to pray with us for all those who are part of our ‘extended congregation’ at Smile.
- A Parents and Toddlers Group meets in the Church Hall on Mondays and Thursdays in term time and some of the holidays.
- A branch of the Mothers Union meets on the first Tuesday of most months at 2.30 PM in the Church Hall.
- The Church Hall is available for hire (both regular or occasional bookings) This is a nice modern hall with a good kitchen.
Contact the Parish Office for details
- Confirmation service On the 7th of October there is a confirmation service in St Michael's Milverton at 7pm, at which 3 members of our congregation are being confirmed.
- Christmas is coming up!If you buy anything on the internet, you can help our church by going through the giving machine first. Check it out at www.thegivingmachine.co.uk